Search This Blog

Sunday, April 23, 2017

So we ran 18 miles

Marathon update
Miles completed - 18
Litres of water drunk - probably zero
Gin consumed - just the two
Toe nails lost - 2 ( to be fair they are growing back)


On Saturday morning I ran 18 miles.
I just want to make sure you all ready that correctly - yes 18 miles.
That is a very long way for those of you who have never done it.
It was tiring, painful, draining - but also absolutely fantastic
This week has been one of severe disappointments. My dear friend and running buddy has been battling sickness and may have to pull out so this was the first 18 mile run I've done without her.
Thankfully I had a few stars to help me on my way.
The speedy stars took an early lead in the training route on Saturday and that left Mommy Star, Mummy Star, New Star, Perfect Make up Star and me navigating the long road to Newbuildings. At Foyle Road we were joined by Daddy Star (who waited for Mummy Star), Twin Star and Late Star (no explanation needed). Then it was out the long road to Balloughry and back in the line.
I did have a few other people for company - thank you Bruce Springsteen, Erasure, Fleur East and Take That for getting me through a few tight spots. But Abba and Olivia Newton John will soon be making a fast exit from my IPOD.
So so far so good, 20 miles planned for next week. After that I've only two miles to add before I'm declared marathon ready.
Running in a group was so much easier.
Boss Star (also Coach) has promised us sausages and chips and a pink and white if we make it to 22 miles.
That's an offer I can't refuse.

No comments: